Wednesday, October 10, 2018

“Venom” Movie Review


    Any one who knows me will tell you, I am a huge nerd.  One of my favorite genre of films are comic book movies.  Good or bad, I try to watch them all and I can find elements of joy in the biggest pieces of shit.   Yes, that being said, I will completely acknowledge some comic book movies are complete trash.  While I was intrigued by the notion of a movie based on Venom, I was a bit taken aback by the critic’s reception to the movie.  Critics so far have been rather savage towards “Venom” so I just had to know for myself.  Was it on the level of “The Avengers” or was it a train wreck like “Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance”?
    The movie plays basically like a modern day monster movie.  The film follows journalist Eddie Brock as he deals with unwillingly bonding with an alien symbiote.  The film depicts Venom as more of an anti-hero as opposed to a villain as he is often shown in Spider-Man comics.
    First of all, I actually did like the movie and I think it’s better than critics are making it out to be.  While the film has many illogical story beats, you just kind of go with the flow of the movie and you don’t really think about them unless someone brings them up.  The film isn’t perfect but it has it’s own charm.
    The thing I liked most that seems to be dividing audiences is the film’s humor and tone.  “Venom” doesn’t take itself seriously and plays like an actual episode of the 90s “Spider-Man: The Animated Series”.  I also like the nods to Spider-Man such as the spacecraft commander from the beginning being John Jameson.  The first after the credits scene alone is worth the price of admission as Woody Harrelson teases the epic Maximum Carnage storyline from the comic books.  It’s hard to imagine how the sequel could avoid an R rating with Carnage as the villain.
    The film is directed by Ruben Fleischer and it is his best work in awhile.  While “Venom” isn’t as innovative as “Zombieland”, it’s still better than forgettable films like “Gangster Squad”.  One of the biggest complaints I have against the film is how the fight scenes are depicted.  It is hard to make out what is going on when Venom squares off against Riot.
    As far as performances, I thought Tom Hardy was a delight to watch.  He has a great awkward energy.  The character Hardy plays is Eddie Brock and Brock was previously played by Topher Grace in “Spider-Man 3”.  Riz Ahmed plays the leader of the Life Foundation Carlton Drake.  Later in the film, it is revealed Drake has his own symbiote named Riot.
    The film contains no direct ties to the MCU and instead acts as a side universe exclusively through Sony.  It could still theoretically tie in at a later date but it doesn’t look likely right now.  I think it would be a smart movie for both Sony and Marvel.  The film isn’t perfect but it’s hardly terrible.  I would recommend “Venom” to comic book fans and people with an abstract sense of humor.

Grade: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment