Monday, October 8, 2018

“The Evil Dead” Movie Review



    I remember going to my local video store as a kid and passing through the horror section with curiosity.  It was a useless voyage however because my parents never allowed me or my siblings to rent something from the horror section.  You see, to them, renting from the horror section was a waste of money because all horror movies were “crap”.  Yet, I would still travel to the horror section each time, intrigued by the cover art of the films I wasn’t allowed to rent.  Well, when I became a teenager, I remembered some of those movies I wasn’t allowed to rent and decided to pick them up myself.  The first horror movie I subjected myself to was “The Evil Dead”.
    “The Evil Dead” franchise always had some of the most eye catching cover art in the video store.  So after catching my attention and finally watching the movie I remember feeling surprised.  The movie didn’t exactly scare me, but I still enjoyed it a lot.
    The movie was made with a very low budget.  It was the first film directed by Sam Raimi and it really showcased his ingenuity behind the lens.  He was able to take something that might handicap another filmmaker and turn it into an asset.  The best example of this is how Raimi decided to depict the evil in the film.  With a shoe string budget, he couldn’t afford to show the approaching evil, so he instead gives us the point of view of the evil which is unnerving and suspenseful all at the same time.
    The film itself is fairly simple which works well considering it’s budget.  The film is over the top and campy but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t deliver on the gore.  This is something I do need to stress, this film is not for younger audiences or for people who are sensitive to adult subject matters.  It wasn’t rated NC-17 for nothing.  Be cautioned, there is also a pretty graphic scene between a woman and a tree (and no, you didn’t  read that wrong, an evil tree really does get all Bill Cosby on a lady).
    Along with Sam Raimi, the film is also noteworthy for launching the career of fellow Michigan native Bruce Campbell.  Campbell has remained a beloved B movie icon and has returned to the role of Ash many times since this film.  Out of the entire cast, Campbell always shines the most in his scenes.
    So this movie has a special place in my heart for many reasons.  I have watched and enjoyed all the sequels and even the remake and I have enjoyed them all (to various degrees).  If you like horror movies and aren’t sensitive, this is the film for you.

Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment