Tuesday, October 2, 2018

"The House with a Clock in It's Walls" Movie Review



    Let me start my review of “The House with a Clock in It’s Walls” off by saying I was not particularly excited to see this film.  I like Jack Black but I am not a fan of Eli Roth in the slightest.  Well, I don’t get to say this often so here goes, the movie was a pleasant surprise.
    I was surprised by how reserved Eli Roth remained on a lot of aspects he could have went darker with.  Eli Roth got the right vibe when it comes to a family movie which isn’t easy.  Roth also managed to get the best performances from his actors as possible.
   The glue that holds this film together and makes it stronger than usual is it’s cast.  Jack Black movies tend to succeed or fail depending on how well he fits a role.  I like Jack Black a lot, but Jack Black’s strength is playing  himself.  It worked in films like “Tropic Thunder” and “Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny” yet failed in films such as “King Kong” (although I still very much enjoyed that film).  His charm and child like demeanor suit this film adaptation well.  Cate Blanchett was also great but she could sleepwalk through a role and still win an Oscar.  The breakout star has to be Owen Vaccaro.  Vaccaro was a delight and provided a unique and quirky performance that felt unique.
    The story was simple and easy to digest yet solid and something adults can enjoy as well.  It is nice to see a film which is fun for the whole family which is rare these days.  Plus the film is set in Michigan so it gets bonus props from me.  While it won’t go down as a classic, it’s a notch above most family oriented offerings over the past few years.  That is a win in my book!

Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment