Wednesday, October 3, 2018

“Happy Death Day” Movie Review



    Last year I took a trip to the theater with no idea of what film I wanted to see, the film I ended up seeing was “Happy Death Day”.  I knew it was a horror movie but I didn’t know too much else about it.  So when the lights went down in the theater, my journey began.
    The premise was interesting but not entirely original.  The film is basically a remake of "Groundhog Day", but instead of a making it a comedy, the filmmakers used the genre of horror to tell their story.  I actually like this approach for the most part as it made the film feel different from other horror films.
    As far as the cast is concerned, Jessica Rothe stars as a character named Tree.  Rothe does a decent job considering her character was mostly unlikeable and off putting.  Her character developed slightly through the movie, but still remained a character who was hard to connect with based on her previous behavior.
    As far as the script was concerned, the movie’s twists were fairly well done and weren’t completely obvious to see coming.  Some of the dialogue was a bit clunky but nothing too distracting.  The script’s main problem was with trying to set the rules of the loop.  If a character can just “respawn” after death, it’s difficult making you feel any sense of danger.  It was an enjoyable  film and I appreciate the attempt at a complex story but sometimes with horror movies, less is usually more.

Grade: C+

No comments:

Post a Comment