Thursday, August 22, 2019

”The Highwaymen” Movie Review


    Although there are some Netflix films I don’t mind checking out and some I even enjoy, very few times am I excited to see a Netflix original film.  I was excited to see “The Cloverfield Paradox” but this is the first film Netflix has made that I was looking forward to since then (although “The Irishman” very much has my attention as well).  I am a big fan of both Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson and the preview of the film looked very promising.
    The film tells the story of the men who finally took down the notorious Bonnie and Clyde.  Governor Ma Ferguson agrees to allow two former Texas Rangers, Frank Hamer and Benjamin Gault, on the case despite her reservations.  Frank and Benjamin use their skills to stay one step ahead of the FBI who are also on the case in search of Bonnie and Clyde.  Despite their age, Frank and Benjamin manage to track Bonnie and Clyde to Louisiana where they (along with other law enforcement) end up gunning the pair down when they refuse to surrender.
    “The Highwaymen” was a film that was in development hell for years before finally being completed.  At one point, the film was envisioned as a starring vehicle for the late Paul Newman and Robert Redford.  The film finally got picked up by Netflix last year.  Upon it’s release, the film garnered mixed reviews so I was dying to see what I would think of the film.
    I enjoyed the film more than the critics seemed to but I agree with some of their critiques.  One of the main criticisms the film faced which I agree with was that Bonnie and Clyde are the more interesting characters in the story and that the Texas Rangers would have better served as supporting characters.  While I think the story of Bonnie and Clyde has been successfully told before and didn’t necessarily need yet another retelling from their point of view, I think sharing the prospective between the criminals and the law enforcement officers would have provided a better fresh take on the story.
    The film has a lot of strengths that I think are largely overlooked.  Director John Lee Hancock manages to create a rich and vibrant atmosphere which helps transport the viewer into the 1930s.  The fact that the movie was filmed on many of the actual historical sites helps the film feel authentic.  One of the historical locations happened to be the actual road where Bonnie and Clyde were killed on.
    What really helped elevate the film beyond most other Netflix films is it’s killer cast.  Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson are both giving it their A game and give award worthy performances.  Costner and Harrelson also have great chemistry together and it feels like they have worked together for a long time.
    “The Highwaymen” isn’t a perfect film but it captures the look, feel, and style of the period like few films have.  It is certainly one of the better Netflix films I have seen and a film I would personally recommend someone seek out to watch.

Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment