Saturday, April 27, 2019

“If Beale Street Could Talk” Movie Review


    I was rather surprised the other day as I was searching through Hulu and I saw that the movie “If Beale Street Could Talk” happened to be on there.  The movie was released late last year if memory serves me well and was a critical darling so I wanted to check it out as soon as possible.
    The film tells the rather simple story of young love between two African Americans, Fonny and Tish.  The pair struggle to make it during the 70s in New York.  Unfortunately, Fonny is falsely arrested on a rape charge and was set up by a corrupt police officer so his case doesn’t look very good.  After Fonny’s arrest, Tish reveals to him and later her family that she is pregnant with his child.
    I can definitely see why critics loved the movie.  The film is based on the acclaimed novel by James Baldwin.  It is the kind of drama that tells a story that is relatable to anyone who has experienced struggle.  The film is vibrant and feels like it was shot in the 70s.  The film feels as close to a blend of a book and painting as a movie can get.  I guess that is part of the reason I don’t tend to gravitate towards films like this though.  For all of it’s brilliance, I tend to enjoy a movie that makes me forget my problems.  Escapism, to me, is the main reason I go to the movies.  I have to be in a particular mood to watch a movie in order to be depressed.
    All of that being said, the film is beautifully written and the dialogue sounds eloquent and powerful.  The film is filled with powerful performances that help transcend this film from the average family drama.  The film also features a wonderful jazz infused score which you can just shut your eyes and listen to.
    Although the film acts as a framework for the struggles African Americans went through and how it effected their lives, it does provide a ray of hope at the end.  Sometimes living through a struggle but being able to look towards the future anyway is a strength no one can take away from you.  It is a strength both Fonny and Tish have even in the face of the hardships they must still overcome.  Life isn’t easy but you have to keep moving forward for the sake of your loved ones and yourself.
    “If Beale Street Could Talk” isn’t for everyone by any means.  It is slowly paced and though it has many strengths, it is also kind of a downer.  I would say that the movie does an incredible job transporting the audience to New York in the 70s.  Depending on your mood, it’s worth the trip.


Grade: C+

No comments:

Post a Comment