Wednesday, April 3, 2019

“First Man” Movie Review


    I have always been a big fan of science fiction with “Star Trek” being one of my favorite shows so one could probably assume the subject of space exploration would be one that has always interested me but, perhaps surprisingly, it’s actually a subject matter I have never found all that interesting.  Now, I have always greatly respected NASA and the accomplishments of every individual involved with the space program, regardless if they were members of the flight crew or scientists on the ground.  I guess on a scientific level, they are so beyond me that it is hard for me to connect to the subject matter on an emotional or intellectual level.  As someone who enjoys writing, I rely a great deal on what connects to me emotionally.
    I am not a complete stranger to the subject however, as I had a brother who was very much obsessed with NASA and space exploration in his youth.  My parents tried to visit locations on vacation that my siblings and I would enjoy and also educate us.  One such location was the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.  It was an interesting place to visit and I even remember watching a documentary on the Hubble satellite in 3D there.  I remember as we left the theater there was a kid and his mother leaving the theater with us and she asked her son if he enjoyed the movie.  Her son quickly informed her that he found the film to be extremely boring.  The boy’s mother quickly pointed out that the film was in 3D and how engrossing and fun that was (this was before “Avatar” came out and popularized 3D again so it was uncommon at that point).  Without missing a beat, the child responded with “Great, it was boring...IN 3D!”.  I never agreed with a kid more.
    When the movie “First Man” came out, it wasn’t exactly on the top of my list of movies to see in theaters because of the subject matter.  The film looked decent and I did want to see it, but as someone who works a lot, I only have so much time in the week to go to the movies.  As I was checking out the local video rental store, I noticed “First Man” and decided to buy it so I could watch it anytime.  Well, after viewing it, I can finally share my thoughts on the film.
    “First Man” tells a pretty straightforward story about the life of Neil Armstrong from his time as a test pilot until the Apollo 11 moon mission.  The mission and decade leading to it showcases the hardships Neil Armstrong and his follow astronauts went through before Armstrong became the first man to set foot on the moon.  The film paints Armstrong has a sort of tragic figure, a man lost of Earth after the death of his daughter trying to find some kind of purpose to move forward.
    Unlike a film such as “Apollo 13” which focuses on the nitty gritty of the mission, “First Man” instead focuses on the love and passion that leads individuals to aspire to greater things.  Ryan Gosling perfectly captures the feeling of emptiness a person can feel after the loss of a loved one while still pressing on.  Claire Foy did an excellent job as his Neil’s first wife Janet.  Foy managed to play Janet as a strong figure who supported and loved her husband and family even through the emotional turmoil the couple went through leading to the Apollo 11 launch.
    From a technical prospective, the film shines.  The special effects are both serial and yet realistic capturing the breathtaking beauty of outer space.  I also liked the camera work used in the film a great deal.  The score was also phenomenal.
    I should discuss the controversy that hurt the film at the box office and had some people claiming the movie was unpatriotic for not depicting the American flag being planted on the moon.  I don’t like to pick sides on issues typically when discussing controversies surrounding films because I typically feel it is not my place.  That being said, to say this film is unpatriotic is ridiculous in my opinion.  The film didn’t show the American flag being placed on the moon because the film was focused on Neil Armstrong’s journey to come to grips with the death of his daughter.  The scene that showed Armstrong dropping his daughter’s bracelet into the dark abyss of a crater on the moon was heartbreaking and showcased humanity as a whole would have taken away from that.  As far as patriotism goes, how could you get more patriotic than John F. Kennedy’s stirring speech about the moon mission?
    As far as films based on NASA missions go, this film connects with me most due to it focusing primarily on the human condition over the science and math aspects NASA missions require.  The eagle has landed and this film definitely has the right stuff.

Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment