Thursday, July 11, 2019

“Space Station” Movie Review


    When I requested a review copy of “Space Station”, I didn’t realize what a treat Mill Creek Entertainment would provide me until I started rewatching it.  Mill Creek Entertainment has just released a fantastic 4K transfer of this IMAX film.  This movie was actually previously released by Warner Bros. in a 3D version as well so film collectors like myself may have to get both versions depending on the experience they want.  I would like to thank Mill Creek Entertainment for providing me this review copy because it means a great deal to me (I will get into that in a little bit).
    The film (which clocks in at 47 minutes long) is a documentary which shows the lives of astronauts from the Kennedy Space Center as they prepare to leave the Earth to embark on their mission to space.  Once in space, they are tasked with completing work on the International Space Station with the help of the cosmonauts already there.  The film shows the majestic beauty of space and the hardships the astronauts have to go through.
    The film is an enlightening piece of media for any fan of NASA or space exploration.  I have to admit that the film feels more important now that interest in space exploration has sadly weaned over the years.  The crisp visuals showcased in 4K help make you feel like you are in outer space with the astronauts.  It can be truly breathtaking to watch and it only makes me want to compare the 4K and 3D versions now to see which feels most immersive to view.
    The film is famous for being the first production of an IMAX 3D film to shoot in space.  It was narrated by Hollywood superstar Tom Cruise but his narration honestly adds little to the viewing experience.  In a documentary like this, star power adds little to the overall experience.
    Now I mentioned that this movie had a special meaning to me earlier and that is because I had actually seen this film in an IMAX 3D theater years ago with my parents (they have both passed away since).  I didn’t realize it was the same movie until I started watching it.
    Ultimately this is a movie for fans of NASA and documentaries but anyone can still appreciate the beauty of space with this film.  If you are looking to get lost, you could do far worse than taking a trip to the International Space Station. Plus with a short runtime, it doesn’t overstay it’s welcome.

Grade: B



No comments:

Post a Comment