Monday, July 1, 2019

“Brainscan” Movie Review


    I am not the biggest horror expert in the world so there are quite a few horror movies I am still discovering.  From time to time, I watch ‘new to me’ cult classics provided to me through review copies.  Unlike some other horror movies I get however, I had actually heard of the movie “Brainscan” and requested it directly from Mill Creek Entertainment.  Mill Creek was kind enough to provide me the film and I very much looked forward to seeing it.
    The film follows a young man named Michael as he agrees to play a game called Brianscan after his friend Kyle encourages him to.  Michael plays the first game and kills someone in the game.  Upon doing so, he is greeted by a character in the game called the Trickster and finds out that the murder he committed in the game turned out to be real.  Now, Michael isn’t sure if he is losing his mind or if he is actually a killer.  Michael finds himself in over his head as the Trickster manipulates Michael into killing his friend Kyle and covering up his murder.
    The movie received negative reviews upon it’s release but has since become something of a cult classic since.  I found the movie to be interesting and thought the character of the Trickster to be really unique.  I can understand critics not being blown away by aspects of the film, but I find it odd that so few of them saw the good in the film.
    The film was directed by John Flynn and starred Edward Furlong a few years after co-starring in the smash hit “Terminator 2: Judgment Day”.  Flynn did not have a good experience working with Furlong on the film.  Frank Langella plays a detective in the film but isn’t given much to do.  T. Ryder Smith is given the most creative freedom as the Trickster and does a stellar job.  Smith’s performance was inspired by rock stars such as Alice Cooper and he doesn’t disappoint.
    This movie is interesting because it takes a stand on the video game violence debate by basically equating simulated violence to actual violence.  Not only is it a talking point brought up a few times in the film, but the basic concept of the film seemingly makes the argument that there is little difference between video game violence and real life violence.  I wonder if this stance might have been why the movie wasn’t more popular.  It’s hard to sell a movie to an audience when your audience as a whole tends to disagree with your stance (also a bit hypocritical to target a teenage audience with a violent movie while stating that simulated violence can turn them violent in real life.  Just my opinion however).  Maybe I am just overthinking this movie.
    After watching the movie and putting aside the vague morals the movie is trying to advocate, I thought it was pretty entertaining.  It was a classic but it reminds me of the type of movies I would watch as a kid.  Plus, the movie is worth watching for the Trickster alone.

Grade: C+



No comments:

Post a Comment