Saturday, May 4, 2019

“Black Gunn” Movie Review



    As I previously mentioned in my review for “The Take”, Mill Creek Entertainment was kind enough to provide me a review copy of a double feature Blu-ray set which came with “The Take” and “Black Gunn”.  I watched “The Take” first because I needed my Billy Dee Williams fix but I have to admit the cast of “Black Gunn” also left me intrigued.  I am not a huge sports fan but even I know who Jim Brown was and to see him star in a movie peeked my curiosity.
    “Black Gunn” opens with a robbery of a shady operation by a militant group of African Americans led by Scott Gunn.  Scott hides out at his brother’s place as things begin to heat up when it’s discovered they robbed from the mafia and they are looking to get back what they lost.
    The two leads of the film are Jim Brown and Martin Landau.  Jim Brown is surprisingly smooth and comfortable as the lead.  Brown plays a nightclub owner and brother to Scott who he provides safe haven to.  Landau is great as always as Russ Capelli, a used car salesman with ties to the mafia.
    The movie was filled with plenty of iconic character actors from the 70s and 80s. It was cool seeing Bruce Glover in the movie being a fan of the original “Walking Tall” films.  I actually didn’t know Bruce Glover was Crispin Glover’s father until I researched this film.  Bernie Casey of “Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure” also makes an appearance as does “Star Trek” guest star William Campbell.  Original “Battlestar Galactica” co-star Herbert Jefferson Jr. also co-stars as Jim Brown’s on screen brother Scott.
    “Black Gunn” is far more of a clear cut blaxploitation film than “The Take” was.  Race plays a huge factor in the film and helps drive the plot.  It’s an interesting look into the past and feels far more gritty than modern films.  While “The Take” was very story driven, “Black Gunn” is more character driven and Jim Brown proved to have the charisma necessary to carry the film.
    I was a bit surprised at how slow the pace of the movie was.  It’s not that the movie felt overly long, but I guess with a title like “Black Gunn”, I expected a little more action spread out through the film.  Ultimately, this ends up making it the kind of movie you can put on in the background when you are doing something else and not miss much (I think we have all done this).
    “Black Gunn” serves as a bit of a missed opportunity in a lot of respects.  With an impressive cast and decent premise, the film just needed more action and less padding. Still, the movie is worth a watch for film buffs as it serves as an amazing showcase for many character actors in their prime.

Grade: D+




No comments:

Post a Comment