Monday, December 23, 2019

“Togo” Movie Review


    Sled dogs have a very special place in my heart and always will.  This year, I unfortunately lost both of my Siberian Huskies within months of each other.  Though they were both older and I knew their time was near, the pain from losing two of my best friends was devastating.  While I was very much looking forward to this film, I knew that it would be an emotional experience regardless of how the film turned out.  That being said, I also felt like my dogs would have wanted me to watch this film in their honor.
    The film tells the story Leonhard Seppala and his team of sled dogs led by Togo as they brave death to deliver antitoxin to Nome, Alaska during the diphtheria epidemic of 1925.  During their run, the film uses flashbacks to depict the relationship between Leonhard and his lead dog Togo.  During these flashbacks, we learn a great deal about the complicated relationship between Leonhard and Togo.
    I thought this movie was extremely well done and I am a little surprised this was released on Disney+ instead of given a theatrical release.  I feel like this movie would have been profitable enough given Disney’s past success with dog centric films.  I also honestly feel like “Togo” would have been more likely to be an awards contender if it was released in the multiplex (I still think there is a chance it could garner some awards if it is given enough of a push).
    While most people associate the serum run of 1925 with Balto due to the children’s animated movies made featuring him (and the statue of Balto in New York), many mushers and dogs were responsible for saving countless lives during the epidemic.  Leonhard and Togo were responsible for covering far more miles than any other musher on the relay however.  The film does a terrific job showing the possible cost of life the epidemic might have cost without the sacrifices Leonhard and Togo risked to save the town of Nome.
    Perhaps what the movie showcases best is the character development Leonhard goes through in the film.  Leonhard starts the film as a harsh and even sometimes cruel musher due to the unforgiving nature of Alaska.  Leonhard doesn’t like Togo at first, seeing him as an unhealthy runt not fit to survive and then a trouble making Hell hound as he grows older.  After unsuccessfully trying to give Togo away, Leonhard begins to realize Togo has the heart of a survivor and is lead dog material.  As time passes and Togo gives more and more of himself to Leonhard and to the serum run, Leonhard begins to regret how he had treated Togo and grows as a person to be more loving and less harsh.
    The film has a lot going for it aside from a great story.  The music is haunting and the cinematography is marvelous.  The only complaint I would have is that the computer animation is less than stellar and the film relies on the subpar computer animation a bit too often in key scenes.
    The cast is led by Willem Dafoe as Leonhard Seppala and he does a magnificent job.  Dafoe has a way of conveying normal dialogue in an almost Shakespearean manner that shouldn’t work but Dafoe somehow pulls it off.  Julianne Nicholson also delivers a strong performance as Leonhard’s wife.
    Disney has a streaming hit on their hands with “Togo” in my opinion and I am glad I got to see it.  If “Togo” is any indication of the quality Disney+ movies are going to have, perhaps Netflix should be very worried.

Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment