Friday, February 8, 2019

"Mad Max: Fury Road" Movie Review


    For the most part, once a project enters development Hell, it either stays in limbo or it morphs into something completely different.  Well, “Mad Max: Fury Road” was a movie that managed to escape a changed film.  The fourth entry in the “Mad Max” franchise was envisioned years earlier and was going to have Mel Gibson reprise the title role.  After a number of years past, rumors started hitting the web that George Miller, director of the Mad Max films, was courting Heath Ledger to take over the role from an aging and controversial Mel Gibson.  Sadly, Ledger passed away shortly after these rumors had hit the internet and the film seemed dead.  Then, out of nowhere it seemed, “Mad Max: Fury Road” was announced with Tom Hardy in the title role.
    I have to admit I wasn’t super excited to see this film.  When the trailer hit, it didn’t exactly wow me.  Sure, the visuals looked amazing and the cast was great, but it basically looked like it was just going to be a movie about a convoy being chased through a post apocalyptic desert.  While that isn’t the worst concept, it also wasn’t a concept that much interested me.  Then I read some of the reviews and that pretty much confirmed what I expected.  The movie was going to be a pass for me.
    I didn’t grow up watching the “Mad Max” films.  I had seen parts of the original “Mad Max” film as well as a few parts of “Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome” but they weren’t held dear to my heart and I had never finished a “Mad Max” film.  I hadn’t even seen clips of “The Road Warrior” so maybe the excitement would have been higher had I seen those films, I don’t know.  I actually decided to see “Mad Max: Fury Road” on blu-ray so I could see it on 3D.  Yes, I bought and watched this film primarily for the gimmick of 3D and I was happy I did so.
    Much of the strength of “Mad Max: Fury Road” comes from the visual story telling from director George Miller.  Max barely speaks in the film and the pacing is so insane that it keeps you on the edge of your seat from beginning to end.
    The strength of the film relies on the performances of stars Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron.  Ironically, Charlize Theron and Tom Hardy famously hated each other and feuded on the set numerous times.  Despite this hatred, the two managed to share a chemistry on screen that is hard to believe wasn’t real.
    “Mad Max: Fury Road” doesn’t worry too much about character development or personal drama.  The film feels more like a roller coaster than anything else but it’s luckily a fun ride.  It’s kind of funny because I really wanted to write a little more about the film because the movie was surprisingly fun but I think that might be the best statement to praise this movie.  This film also got me interested in revisiting the Mel Gibson era films and giving them another try.


Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment