Tuesday, February 12, 2019

"Benji" (1974) Movie Review


    I have seen countless movies and television shows that feature dogs.  I am a sucker for anything featuring a dog I guess.  Now, that doesn't mean I would professionally say all of those films and tv shows were quality, but I still manage to find some enjoyment on a personal level in just about anything featuring man's best friend.  Now, up until recently, I had not seen the original "Benji" film from 1974 but I was very aware of the Benji franchise.  Benji is one of those dogs who became so iconic that you likely knew the name even if you hadn't seen anything in the Benji franchise.
    I had owned various Benji films on DVD over the years but I never bought the original "Benji" for some reason.  It has always been a film I was curious about exploring and thankfully the kind folks at Mill Creek Entertainment were nice enough to provide me a review copy of their new Benji three film blu-ray release.  I was extremely excited and surprised to get the film(s) in the mail earlier this week.  As soon as I had time (which isn't something I have a lot of working at a grocery store close to full time as well as running my own e-bay store), I was super pumped to see "Benji" in this blu-ray release!
    A large reason "Benji" has remained so relevant over the years has been due to the enormous popularity of the first film forty-five years ago.  The film was a hit with audiences leading to sequels as well as a Benji film made by Disney.  "Benji" was also nominated for an Oscar for "I Feel Love" in the ‘Best Song’ category.
    "Benji" tells the story of an adorable mutt who the people around the town take care of by feeding and paying attention to.  Two young children take an extreme liking to Benji and want to take him in but their father is unwilling to welcome a dog into their house.  The two children get kidnapped and the key to finding them just so happens to be Benji.
    The thing I love about certain films of the 70s is that while it has become dated due to fashion and certain filming techniques, those same things also give it a certain charm that is almost impossible to replicate.  Though a family film, it has the same feel as the drive in theater hits of the era like “Walking Tall” and “The Legend of Boggy Creek”.  The music also has a very 70s vibe which I loved.  Seeing Tom Lester from “Green Acres” was also pretty fun.
    Joe Camp produced, wrote, and directed “Benji” and he had every right to be proud of his accomplishment.  There is an old adage from W.C. Fields to “never work with children or animals” but Camp seemed to take the statement as a challenge while making “Benji”.
    Benji serves as an adorable film lead.  From his floppy ears to his cute underbite, it’s easy to see why audiences fell in love with the cute mutt.  During the Hollywood Renaissance, a family friendly film like “Benji” must have seemed like a welcomed change to some.  It also served as a precursor to modern films like “A Dog’s Way Home”, “A Dog’s Purpose”, and the Netflix reboot of this very film.
    For film buffs and dog lovers, “Benji” remains a must see movie.  While some aspects of the film may have aged poorly, the relationship Benji shares with the people in town and his animal pals remains timeless.  It melts your heart seeing Benji share a montage with his girlfriend Tiffany and the scene helps showcase the talent of the four legged cast.


Grade: B+



No comments:

Post a Comment