Tuesday, November 5, 2019

“Dolemite Is My Name” Movie Review



    I have to admit that I have not seen the film “Dolemite” nor have I had much of a desire to see it.  Still, I have always found Rudy Ray Moore to be a rather fascinating celebrity so when I heard there was going to be a movie based on his life, I knew I wanted to see that film.  Interestingly enough the film ended up becoming a Netflix original film even though I have a feeling it might have made a decent amount at the box office had it graced the silver screen.
    The film depicts Rudy Ray Moore’s life from just before he invented the Dolemite character to the opening of the first “Dolemite” movie.  The film opens with Rudy working at a record store and also working at a local nightclub as the establishment’s announcer.  Rudy is hungry to showcase all of his vast skills, but is constantly overlooked.  After listening to some stories of the local homeless community, Rudy creates the character of Dolemite which he debuts at the nightclub he works at (unknowingly to the own) to vast acclaim from the audience. From that moment on, Rudy sets his sights high and decides to bet on himself.
    Being a Netflix film, I really didn’t expect a great deal from this film, but the film ended up far exceeding my expectations.  “Dolemite Is My Name” is currently the best Netflix original movie I have seen this year (if not ever).  I would even go as far as to say the film is one of the best movies of the year.  Everything about the movie clicked in all the right ways and created an entertaining look at one of the most popular figures in African American entertainment.
    The film’s script is sharp and funny and paints Rudy Ray Moore as a very relatable person with big dreams.  I think it was interesting how Rudy Ray Moore was constantly pushed aside when he tried to do a more traditional act (his boss at the nightclub even told him he didn’t want his vaudeville act) and he didn’t achieve recognition until he created a foul mouthed character in Dolemite.  It’s ironic because Rudy even mentions disliking Redd Foxx early in the film because he cursed so much in his comedy act.
    The cast of the film was beyond stellar.  This was the best film Eddie Murphy has done in a long time.  Even though Eddie Murphy doesn’t resemble Rudy Ray Moore much, Murphy does manage to capture his energy and spirit.  The supporting cast is amazing as well.  Da’Vine Joy Randolph is a revelation as Lady Reed and holds her own among many other seasoned professionals.  Keegan-Michael Key is hilarious as screenwriter Jerry Jones.  It also enjoyed the glorified cameos Chris Rock and Snoop Dogg provided in the film.  To my amazement, the biggest treat in this film besides Eddie Murphy in this film is Wesley Snipes.  Wesley Snipes absolutely steals every scene he is in as D’Urville Martin.
    The film is helmed to perfection by Craig Brewer who will next helm Murphy and Snipes again in the sequel to “Coming to America”.  Brewer succeeds in his ability to both showcase the importance of the blaxploitation movement in Hollywood while still providing enough levity to poke fun at how ridiculous elements of it were.  You can’t make a movie about Rudy Ray Moore without loving his work and Brewer clearly appreciates the legend.
    So this is officially an end of an era for me, because I can now officially say I love a Netflix original movie.  I hope I can say the same about “The Irishman” when I get to see it later this month, but I believe this is the first Netflix movie of the year that is a real awards contender.  It’s really that good.

Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment