Friday, March 29, 2019

“The Entity” Movie Review


    Every Halloween season, I like to catch the occasional horror film to get me in the spirit of the season even though I am not the biggest horror fan of all time.  While I enjoy the genre, I tend to favor horror films “inspired by true stories” over the usual slasher flick.  When I was growing up, I tended to look for films that were inspired by true events.  Now, I know the phrase can be used very loosely, but the extra layer of not knowing what part could be real or made up can enhance the film from meh to leaving goosebumps down your spine.
    One of the first non mainstream horror films I remember checking out as a teenager was a film called “The Entity”.  Now, before I go on, if anyone is interested in checking out this film after this review, please be warned.  The film contains a graphic subject matter and should only be viewed by a mature audience.
    “The Entity” is based on a book which itself was based on the real life haunting of Doris Bither.  While the character in the film was renamed to Carla Moran, most of the film and book lifted elements directly from Bither’s case.  In the film, Moran starts off as a normal young mother who seems perfectly normal.  Moran is, however, haunted by either a ghost or demonic presence that frequently attacks and rapes her.  Naturally, many people are skeptical of her story believing almost anything else was the cause of her apparent abuse.  She agrees to be observed by individuals interested in her story (just as the real Doris Bither had) and they also witness the supernatural events she described.
    The film, directed by Sidney J. Furie, does a fine job depicting the events as if they might really happen.  The film doesn’t try to scare it’s audience with jump scares, instead letting the violent attacks alone convey the horror Moran was going through.
    I think it would be impossible to discuss this movie without giving high praise to it’s lead actress, Barbara Hershey.  As Carla Moran, Hershey manages to convey both terror and a sense of strength while living through these horrific events.  If this film wasn’t a horror film and wasn’t so graphic, I honestly think Hershey would have been nominated for an Oscar for this role.  She is that great.
    This film remains one of my favorite horror films partly due to it’s simplicity and the fact it was based on a true story.  I am not the only one who thinks so either, as Martin Scorsese has stated that “The Entity” is also one of his favorite horror films.  Without this film, you might not have a film like “The Conjuring” today.

Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment