Thursday, November 29, 2018

“The Grinch” Movie Review


    The original Christmas special of “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” is among one of my favorite holiday specials ever.  So when I saw the preview for the new version of the Grinch from Illumination, I was on board to see it in theaters as soon as it came out.  I mean, ‘‘tis the season to watch Christmas movies!
    When it comes to remakes/reboots, I try my best to view it as an original thing without comparing it to the previous films but I also know it’s impossible to separate the remake from the source material so if studios are going to cash in on name value, I feel it’s only fair to put each installment up against the best film baring that franchise’s name.  So when I feel like it calls for it, I will compare it to the original classic.  Luckily, this adaptation of the Dr. Seuss' book isn’t a carbon copy of the original.  Yes, all the story beats play the same but the film adds enough to separate it from the other versions of the story.
    I really enjoyed the animation style of the film.  Between the animation and the humor, it really felt like an Illumination film.  The humor was charming and felt crafted so that both children and adults could enjoy it.  The filmmakers also made sure to include some heart and emotion to the story.
    The voice cast was stellar, Benedict Cumberbatch brings a mischievous charm to the role.  Musician Pharrell Williams however, doesn’t live up to the amazing narration of Boris Karloff in the original animated special.  Pharrell Williams delivers his lines in an overly relaxed and care free fashion.  He doesn’t convey how despicable the Grinch’s actions are.
    To me, the highlight of this adaptation are the animals.  The Grinch’s dog, Max, is given a beefier role in this version and he is as cute and sweet as you might expect.  The addition of Fred the Reindeer was also an adorably genius move.  Both these animals had many moments to shine with adorably sweet parts that made me laugh out loud.
    The film does have a few problems.  It has some pacing issues.  The ending feels a bit rushed compared to the rest of the film.  A quick ending works better in a twenty minute special than in a feature length film.  I also wasn’t a big fan of the new version of the classic theme.  It isn’t a big issue, but in a song that iconic, it’s best not to screw it up.
    The film ultimately turned out better than expected and is destined to be a new Christmas classic among many households.  The hard part will be choosing between which version of the Grinch to watch.

Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment